The cost of inert gas meant that it didn’t catch on as quickly as it might have, however, the use of semi-inert gasses like carbon dioxide helps to reduce the cost. Because the technique uses a shielding gas, it is rarely used in volatile atmospheres and virtually never outdoors.
Types of materials that can be fabricated with GMAW
Gas metal arc welding is mainly used to weld Aluminum, non-ferrous metals, and steel.
Uses of gas metal arc welding
Gas metal arc welding is one of the most popular and widely used welding processes in the world.
You’ll see it being used in anywhere; from various fabrication solutions in a small workshop to the marine heavy industry.
People tend to confuse MIG welding with TIG Welding. There are however many differences including GMAW (Mig) being cheaper, easier to use and also the ability of the two to weld different types of metals.
Pros and benefits of GMAW
- hobbyist welders can pick up a gas metal arc welding kit for around £400; the equipment is cheap, easy to maintain and it’s readily available.
- The consumables used have among the lowest costs out there; MIG wire is around £1.80 a box
- This technique has a high deposition rate; much higher than stick welding
- Because this technique doesn’t pick up moisture it creates very small hydrogen deposits.
- Versatility. Gas metal arc welding can be used on virtually any type of metal by changing your filler wire and the shielding gas.
- Spatter levels are extremely low with this technique and you can weld any thickness of material.
- It’s an easy technique to learn and it requires only a small amount of cleaning up when you’re done.
Cons and limitations of MIG Welding
- Inert gasses can be expensive and add the cost of use.
- The equipment is easy to move, but the shielding gas cylinders aren’t!
- The shielding gas is sensitive to the wind and can be easily blown away if outdoors.
- The open arc can expose people to harmful UV rays.
- Rust, mill scale oil, dirt, and paint can only be tolerated in very small amounts.
What Clients have to say About Us
thorough preparation before coming on site
Great welders. Decent prices and availability.
I’m happy to recommend Mobile Welding in London. Their steel fabrication work and mobile welding services have been a great help to us. Always a friendly approach and spot-on delivery. Prices are fair too. Thank you
Best mobile welders in London, great quality metalwork and most competitive rates.
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value We had railings fabricated and installed onto the outside steps of a Victorian block of flats. The railings look great, are in keeping with the period of the property and were installed wit…
Positive: Professionalism, Quality
Well rounded metalwork service. I’ve been hiring local welders and fabricators in the past. The experience I’ve had with Mobile Welding London is unparalleled. Will hire them again in the future.
Had whatsapp available to book through. Got here 1 hour after I messaged and that was on a Saturday. Did a great job and great price.
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
Fantastic service. Professional welders. Gate repair has been completed successfully in short notice. I can recommend Mobile Welding London to anyone who needs welding services in Lon…
MIG Welding Services in London
Gas metal arc welders can vary at their size. You can find mobile welding services use MIG welding in many of the fabrication services that they provide in their workshop and onsite.
At Mobile Welding London we deliver GMAW/MIG welding solutions for any propose. Our welders can attend at your premises or desired location in London to provide you with best quality welding services using Gas metal arc welding at most competitive prices.
Contact us today for further assistance and we’ll be happy to help!